- 1 What is a dental irrigator and what is it for?
- 2 Who needs to use the irrigator?
- 3 Contraindications to the use of the irrigator
- 4 Types of irrigators
- 5 Stationary irrigator
- 6 Portable irrigator
- 7 Irrigators connecting to the water supply
- 8 Additional selection criteria for the irrigator
- 9 How to use the irrigator for the device to work for a long time
- 10 The best manufacturers of irrigators
- 11 How to use the irrigator? Video.
Irrigator – a fashionable novelty or a necessary device for cleaning teeth and oral hygiene? The opinion of the dentist.
What is the irrigator for the oral cavity, and what are the parameters for choosing this device? Before you start choosing the device you need to consult with the dentist, determine whether you need it and how many people in the family will use it – it depends on the type of irrigator that will need to be purchased. We will try to make out: who needs an irrigator for the oral cavity, what kinds of devices exist and which functions and parameters should be based on when choosing it.
What is a dental irrigator and what is it for?
An irrigator is a device that uses a directed water jet to clean the spaces between the teeth, while massaging the gum. It is much more effective than a toothbrush or a floss cope with a soft plaque in hard-to-reach places. Advantages of this device are:
- High level of oral hygiene;
- Prevention of dental and gum disease;
- Removal of pathogens from the surface of teeth, prostheses, orthodontic systems, as well as from the mucous membrane, gums and tongue;
- Acceleration of gum regeneration, metabolism and salivary gland functioning;
- Improvement of microcirculation.
Who needs to use the irrigator?
Dentists recommend using an irrigator for:
- Women during pregnancy – in pregnant women increased risk of carious lesions and periodontal diseases, the irrigator carefully removes plaque, food remnants and easily massages the gum. Future mothers after some time using the irrigator note a significant improvement in the condition of the oral tissues.
- Patients with bite problems or crowded teeth who undergo orthodontic treatment with braces and face the problem of high-quality cleaning of teeth – a directed jet of a special solution or water from the irrigator removes plaque and food residues from all hard-to-reach places.
- People with periodontal diseases – dentists recommend using the device with gingivitis and the initial stages of periodontitis, while for a greater effect instead of water you need to use solutions that the doctor will appoint.
- Patients with orthopedic structures in the mouth (removable and non-removable prosthetics, implants).
- Smokers and people who have an unpleasant smell from the mouth.
- Patients with a diagnosis of chronic rhinitis or sinusitis are often appointed to wash the nasal cavity, for which you can use a special nozzle.
Contraindications to the use of the irrigator
It is not recommended to use the irrigator in the following cases:
- Chronic diseases of the oral mucosa in the stage of exacerbation;
- Bleeding gums that do not pass after two weeks of using the device;
- Children can use the irrigator only under the supervision of adults;
- Severe heart disease and cardiovascular system.
- In any case, before using the device, you should consult your dentist.
Types of irrigators
In order to decide what the irrigator to purchase, you need to answer the following questions:
- Who will use the device — one person or all members of the family?
- Do your family members orthopedic or orthodontic design, bite problems or diseases of the oral cavity?
- Whether to use the device children and the elderly?
- How often and how long you’re traveling and whether you need to trip the device to care for the oral cavity?
- How important is the noise level and the amount of power consumed?
There are three types of irrigators: a hydraulic pump that runs on electricity, stationary and portable; connects to the water supply.
For the family it is best to choose a stationary irrigator with a set of baits necessary for all household members.
These models operate from the network, a pulsating sufficiently powerful jet of liquid from the reservoir is supplied under pressure. It flushes soft dental plaque and food remnants from the interdental spaces from under orthopedic and orthodontic structures.
Advantages of stationary irrigators:
- Large volume of the tank,
- A variety of modes, a large set of attachments,
- A large set of baits,
- Sufficiently strong motor, allowing to create a good pressure of a jet of liquid.
- Stationary irrigator takes up a lot of space,
- At work can vibrate and make a lot of noise,
- There is a danger of electric shock (do not touch the appliance with wet hands or use it with bath and shower, it is inadmissible to immerse the irrigator in water)
- Requires regular washing and drying nozzles, a special place to store attachments to prevent the accumulation of microorganisms on their surface.
The minimum cost of a stationary irrigator is about $40.
If you often leave home for a long time (on business trips, visit, travel) or intend to use the device at the dacha or at work, then it is worth paying attention to models of portable irrigators. They consist of a tank, a battery and a pump. The battery lasts about seven days.
Advantages of portable irrigators:
- Small size and small weight of the device,
- You can not turn and tilt,
- Small power, not allowing to create a good head of the jet,
- Small volume of the tank,
- Little baits and modes.
The minimum price of the device is from $ 30.
Irrigators connecting to the water supply
The device is connected directly to the faucet, the kit usually includes attachments to various cranes. It is not necessary to remove it after use, since the device has an adapter, which allows you to switch the water.
- low cost,
- Continuous water supply,
- Small size and mobility.
- Low quality of tap water.
The minimum price is from $ 20.
Additional selection criteria for the irrigator
Features of a liquid jet
One of the most important criteria for choosing a technology, with which to clean teeth or a feature of a liquid jet. According to this criterion, we can distinguish:
- Cleaning with the help of a monostructure – at the moment the technology is practically not used. Since the cleaning is then carried out by a thin continuous stream of liquid.
- Irrigators, creating a pulsating jet – thanks to small, almost unnoticeable pulsations, more effective cleaning and micro massage of the gums occur.
- Cleaning with a jet of liquid with microbubbles of air is most effective, because in addition to cleaning the teeth, the gums are massaged and the periodontal pockets are cleaned.
Number and types of irrigation nozzles
Some models of irrigators have one standard nozzle, this is not the best choice for good oral hygiene. It is better to choose a model that contains a basic set of baits, before buying, you need to consult with a specialist who will help you determine the number of necessary attachments. Additionally, the following accessories may be included in the kit:
- To clean the tongue,
- For periodontal pockets,
- For the purification of orthodontic devices,
- For the purification of non-removable dentures,
- For care of implants,
- Nozzle brush,
- For polishing tooth enamel and removing plaque from coffee and cigarettes,
- For washing the nose and nasopharynx.
If it is planned that several people will use the device, it is better to buy a nozzle of your own color for each member of the family – this will not confuse them when using it. To obtain the best result, hygienic liquids for irrigation of the oral cavity can be used. Therapeutic rinsers and balms will be recommended to you by the doctor based on the condition of your oral cavity – it can be a fluid containing fluoride or calcium, drugs with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial or blood-restoring action.
Flow control capabilities
The ability to adjust the head has almost all models of irrigators, when buying it is necessary to make sure that your device has such a function. It is indispensable if children, elderly people, patients with periodontal diseases use the device. And it is better for absolutely healthy people to start using the irrigator with the lowest power, gradually increasing it.
The possibility of repair in the event of a breakdown and the availability of service centers
When choosing an irrigator for the oral cavity, pay attention to whether it is possible to repair it in case of breakage. Voltage drops, hard water and too frequent use can lead to damage to the device, and many models are not repaired at all, they can only be replaced.
Before the final choice of the manufacturer, pay attention to the availability in your city of service centers, where you can carry out warranty and post-warranty repair.
How to use the irrigator for the device to work for a long time
There are several basic rules for using the device:
- To avoid overheating, you can not turn on the machine with an empty tank.
- If herbal decoctions are used for cleaning, they must be carefully filtered and washed after use.
- Do not use an oil based fluid for irrigation of the oral cavity.
The best manufacturers of irrigators
In the world, only a few companies are recognized leaders in the production of irrigators. These include:
- Braun – is a German company that mainly produces household appliances. This company owns the brand Oral-B, under which products for oral care are manufactured, and is very popular. A distinctive feature of this company is the high quality and affordable price of goods.
- Water pik Technologies – the first to produce irrigators, produces these devices under the brands Water pik, Laars, Instapur.
- Panasonic Corporation – Japanese company specializing in the production of electronics, produces quality irrigators, equipped with a maximum of technological features.
- Bredmed – is a company from Italy, initially it specialized in the production of nebulizers, but now there are irrigators of this company.
How to use the irrigator? Video.
And finally – a video about what an irrigator needs and how to use it correctly.