- 1 General Information
- 2 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM – price. Where is the best place to buy?
- 3 Package Contents
- 4 Appearance
- 5 Comparative testing
- 6 Test results
- 7 Video review Canon EF 70-200mm f / 2.8L IS II USM
This lens – Canon EF 70-200mm f / 2.8L IS II USM – one of the masterpieces of Canon without any reservations. Because I even wanted to photograph it, as for the catalog, on a gray gradient.
Canon EF 70-200 f / 2.8L IS II USM is an updated professional long-focus lens with variable focal length and optical stabilization system (IS) for film and digital cameras Canon EOS.
When used with APS-C (Crop) format cameras, the equivalent distance is 112-320 mm.
Unlike the previous IS-version of this series, the Canon EF 70-200 f / 2.8L IS USM has an image stabilizer for 4 steps (in the past for 3). Other differences – a modified optical scheme (allowed to really get sharper pictures), 100 grams less weight and a little longer. The minimum focusing distance was reduced to 1.2 meters. Also, the body of the lens has been reworked a little.
A rounded diaphragm allows you to achieve a good picture of blur zones.
Good sharpness at the diaphragm 2.8. From the diaphragm 4 – very sharp, but noticeably less sharp than the version without IS. Although for portrait photography IS version is more suitable.
USM ultrasonic motor makes the focusing work fast and virtually noiseless.
The CanonEF 70-200 f / 2.8L IS USM II lens incorporates five ultra-low dispersion UD lenses and one fluorite element that compensate for aberrations and make the image more contrast and sharper.
For the convenience of using polarizing and gradient filters, the front objective lens is fixed.
Provides protection from moisture and dust.
The tripod mount ring type B, the maximum deflection of the stabilizer is about 1.2 mm, the maximum correction angle of the stabilizer is about 0.5 ° (in the telephoto position), the compatibility of the stabilizer with the extender EF 1.4xII
With the extender EF 2xII compatibility is not.
The Canon EF 70-200 f / 2.8L IS II USM lens has the ability to work with focal lengths of 98-280 mm f / 4 when using a lens in conjunction with the EF 1.4xII extender.
Compatible Lens Hood: ET-86
The hood and the soft case come complete.
In the lens of 23 elements in 19 groups !!!
Of which 5 (!) Low-dispersion and one fluorite.
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM – price. Where is the best place to buy?
The recommended retail price for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM in the US is about $ 1 950. At this cost, you can order it on Amazon. Plus Shipping, so the total cost of Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM when ordering on Amazon will be about $ 2 000. I would not recommend ordering anywhere else except on Amazon. Since you are less likely to find cheaper, and if you do not take into account the fact that Amazon is probably the most reliable online store, it still very often provides free shipping.
The lens feels like a very (1470g.) Weighty and is not recommended for use by girls for this reason.
The lens comes in a large box, in addition to the polystyrene there is still a strong case in which it is supposed to be worn when it is not on the camera.
The case is very durable and comfortable. Exactly the same was attached to my favorite Canon EF 100-400mm f / 4.5-5.6L IS USM
The same strong white metal case.
I wonder what caused this attention of Canon to the “white” L-lenses and neglect of the construct in black L-lenses …
A huge lens Canon EF 70-200mm f / 2.8L IS II USM requires the mandatory installation of a protective filter and here half-measures can not be dispensed with, it is desirable to put B + W 77mm XS-PRO 010M Nano UV-Haze
A lens hood can not be called beautiful. And the material is ordinary plastic. It’s nice that the inside of the blend is covered with a black flock, which allows you to suppress excess reflections.
The rear lens is heavily recessed inside, so you can put this lens bayonet on the table when you need to change lenses. The rear lens does not touch the table, but the front one is not so gentle and plus it must be a protective filter in front!
The presented Canon EF 70-200mm f / 2.8L IS II USM lens is considered one of the best zoom lenses and even there is an opinion that it is quite comparable with fixed-objective lenses. I decided to check it out and used Canon 100 / 2.8L IS USM as a representative of fix-lenses.
The camera was mounted on a tripod, leveled. Lighting – studio generator Broncolor.
Shutter release is via the YoungNuo radio synchronizer.
The distance to the target is 5 meters. This is the recommended distance for measuring the resolution of the lens (50 * focal length), because We will make measurements for the focal length of 100 mm.
5 meters is quite a long distance, so I even had to take the camera to the corridor. The length of my studio is 6.15m, then at the end there is a table with a computer and a background, so that the “useful” length is less.
The camera used for measurements is the Canon 5D mark II. I think, in order to compare the results of measurements of different lenses, I will continue to use this camera for measurements. Unless Canon will release a camera with a fundamentally larger sensor resolution, because This sensor has already exhausted itself, reached the limit of its resolution and climbs moiré on good lenses.
Dependency of the resolution from the aperture
It can be seen from the table that the resolution of the new Canon EF 70-200mm f / 2.8L IS II USM super zoom is close to the Canon 100 / 2.8L IS USM fixed lens, but still inferior to it.
Nevertheless, I want to note that this is one of the best zoom lenses I’ve tested. With the naked eye, the difference in resolution between these lenses is extremely difficult to detect.
And we went to do test shots …
Photos from the Canon EF 70-200mm f / 2.8L IS II USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f / 2.8L IS II USM @ 200mm, f2.8, 1 / 60s
Canon EF 70-200mm f / 2.8L IS II USM @ 200mm, f2.8, 1/125
As you can see, chromatic aberrations to this lens are not alien, but they are minimal! Very decent result.
And a few more trees.
Here, too, chromatic aberrations are visible, but in the amount of “under the web” – defects are not visible at all.
If you specifically look for chromatic aberrations, then you can certainly find them.
It is very easy and convenient to shoot children. Autofocus is fast enough and the stabilizer works well.
The lens is very sharp and well suited for studio photography. Including for the subject.
But for photo hunting it is not very suitable. Not enough focal length. Would prefer Canon 100-400 / 4.5-5.6 IS USM.
Portraits with Canon EF 70-200mm f / 2.8L IS II USM are wonderful. It’s sharp right from the open diaphragm, and on the F4 it’s already working at full strength.
- The lens in terms of optics – great. Leaves and Canon can make lenses.
- The Canon EF 70-200mm f / 2.8L IS II USM is very close to fixed-objective lenses, but still does not “hold out”
- The lenses have already come close to the resolution limit of the current matrix of 35mm (at some aperture values, in the center of the frame, perhaps they exceed the current matrix). We are looking forward to the new matrix from Canon.
- The Canon EF 70-200mm f / 2.8L IS II USM lens is heavy. Obviously not for fans of light cameras and lenses, but also not for girls. Plus it’s big in size. Not even in every bag or backpack will fit.
- The lens has a very effective image stabilizer. Clearly, progress is being made in the new version of the stabilizer. Sorry, Canon does not report in which lens and when a new version of the stabilizer appears. The stabilizer, when lowering the lens downwards, can produce unpleasant straining sounds. This leads me to the idea that this should not be done. Apparently, the stabilizer in this lens is a major vulnerability. Also in my Canon 100 / 2.8L IS USM in some cases the stabilizer produces unpleasant “crunchy” sounds. I do not want to carry the lens into the service afterwards – I prefer to disable the stabilizer. I’m fine without it (but to have it in the lens is still good – in case of emergency).
- Fast autofocus. With good light almost instant.
- The stabilizer is beyond praise!
- Drawing, color, contrast, blur. All that is written about it is true. Truly, perhaps, you will not say. You need to shoot and watch.
- The outside hood is matte, rough. Fingerprints and other organic matter, sticking from the hands, is invisible.
- A good cover included. Not that these black bags.
- Distortion (barrel-shaped) by 70 mm and a little further. Although the editors are easy to fix.