Sennheiser HandMic Digital is a hand-held dynamic microphone with USB interface. Announced at last year’s Musikmesse handheld dynamic microphone Sennheiser HandMic Digital finally released. This product was developed in conjunction with Apogee Electronics (it uses a preamplifier and ADC from Apogee) and is designed primarily for mobile journalists and podcasters. With it, you can record professional-quality sound on both the iPad / iPhone, and on a Mac or PC.
Like the MK4 digital model, this device has a built-in preamplifier and an analog-to-digital converter from Apogee. The novelty is compatible with Mac / PC and iOS-devices and, according to the developer, is ideal for mobile journalism, podcasting and recording vocals and various instruments.
According to the developers, HandMic Digital was created with the expectation of exploitation in any, even very unfavorable conditions. It has a strong metal casing that reliably protects from mechanical influences, and the elastic suspension of the capsule (which, by the way, has a cardioid pattern) can reduce the noise caused by manipulations with the microphone. HandMic Digital also provides protection from wind, as well as electromagnetic interference from mobile phones.
Sennheiser HandMic Digital is compatible with various specialized programs and applications for processing multimedia content. Among them – FiLMiC Pro, Periscope, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, MetaRecorder and Maestro from Apogee Electronics.
Sennheiser HandMic Digital Main Features
The Handmic Digital microphone connects to iOS devices via the Lightning port. The microphone is based on Sennheiser cardioid capsule, PureDigital preamplifier and Apogee ADC, all in a durable metal case. Maximum sound pressure level up to 150 dB, effective suppression of structural noise, immunity to blowing and electromagnetic radiation.
The HandMic digital model uses a capsule with a cardioid pattern taken from the Sennheiser e 835 dynamic microphone. Like this model, the novelty is made in a durable metal case, it has protection against electromagnetic interference and acoustic feedback. The following are other features of HandMic digital:
- The integrated preamplifier Apogee PureDigital and ADC;
- work with high sound pressure level (up to 150 dB)
- antishock suspension caps to suppress mechanical noise
- Compatibility with various applications and DAWs such as FiLMiC Pro, Luci Live, Periscope, Logic Pro X, Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, Adobe Premiere, GarageBand and Apogee MetaRecorder
- two-meter USB and Lightning cables included;
- The device was designed and manufactured in Germany.
Sennheiser HandMic Digital Specifications:
- Apogee PureDigital ADC
- Resolution: 16/24 bit
- Sampling frequency: 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 * KHz
- Delay: depends on OS and software (about 0.5 ms)
- Internal signal processing: presets in Apogee Maestro
- The codec type: multi-bit DeltaSigma
- Preamplification: 0 – 35 dB
- Power: from iOS device or USB
- Receiver Type: Dynamic
- directional characteristics: cardioid
- The range of reproduced frequencies: from 40 to 16 000 Hz
- Sensitivity (at 80 dB SPL, 1 KHz): @ min. gain: -54 dBFS; @ max. gain: -19 dBFS
- Noise level: @ min. gain: -96 dBFS (A); @ max. gain: -74 dBFS (A)
- Max. sound pressure level: @ min. gain: 134 dB; @ max. gain: 99 dB
- Connector: Apple MFi certified Lightning or USB connector
- Weight: 340 g
- Dimensions of the microphone diameter: 48 mm, length 180 mm
- Cable length: about 2 m
- Temperature range: 0 ° C … +40 ° C; Storage: -24 ° C to +70 ° C
- Relative humidity: max. 95% @ 40%
Podcasting and voice recording
Podcasters especially like the microphone convenience and quality of recording both indoors and outdoors, which provide, above all, first-class technology used in this microphone.
Handmic Digital microphone is equipped with a capsule with a suspension that effectively reduces structural and mechanical noise, which is especially important for mobile mobile recording. Another important fact: this microphone is absolutely indifferent to mobile phones.
Recording vocals and musical instruments
Now you have the opportunity to record your musical ideas at the time they occur. Just connect the microphone to the iOS device and turn on the recording. Pay attention to the professional quality of your recording made with the Handmic Digital microphone.
Today, it’s easy to make a high-quality record with a mobile device. You just pick up Handmic Digital microphone, connect it to your iOS device and everything is ready for recording. Having a high-quality microphone capsule and an excellent Apogee digitizer, you can work with any sources.
The cost of the Sennheiser HandMic Digital microphone is $ 259. Included with it is a range of accessories: 2-meter USB and Lightning cables, a holder, a desk stand and a storage case.